Tuesday, December 23, 2008

December 23

Wow there really is a Santa LOL. I got off early, was able to leave work at 0430. Now for a nurse to get of early is really rare, but for a supervisor to get off early happens about as often as snow falls in Hawaii. I got to come home and get to bed while it was still dark outside, what a treat. Got up and did a few things, went grocery shopping, so I can cross that chore off my to do list. Then tonight we had Christmas with the grandkids.

Our grandson who just turned 6 is a great kid, respectful and full of energy. Kid knows his way around a computer and a video game better then most adults. So for Christmas we decided to buy him a bike, yes a manual get out in the fresh air and do some physical exercise BIKE. This decision was made like 6 days before Christmas, I was like you want us to buy a bike 6 days before Christmas, are you nuts?? In case you don't know this, I hate malls and I hate crowds even more. So hellooooo computer. Not much you can't find on the web. So with the help of a friend (thank you Chris) we spent one whole evening looking at bikes on line and trying to find just the right bike. Five days before Christmas I went to Target to look at what they had, ahhh you have to be kidding me a hundred bucks for a bike for a 6 year old.........I don't think so! Four days before Christmas I make a stop at Walmart on my way home from work and there sitting in the aisle is the perfect bike, a black and gold sharp little 18 inch Razor Cobra bike complete with training wheels, hand breaks and all put together. Life is sweet!

Now the bike has been sitting in our dining room since I brought it home. Tonight we loaded it back up in my Rav4 and headed off to the kids house. Now you can't really wrap a bike so I decided to make it a game, a treasure hunt with the prize being the bike.

The first clue was to look in the place where you put your dirty clothes and they come out clean. On the washer was another clue to look on the box that keeps your food cold, on the refrig. was a clue that lead him to look under his bed. That clue told him to go and look under the tree, and there was his shiny new bike.

While the bike was a big hit and he had to ride it in the house up and down the hall a couple of times, I think he really like the treasure hunt the best. Leave it to a kid to look at the toy and end up playing with the box LOL. Then he wanted to be the one to hide a "treasure" and Grandma go do the searching.......I'm still not sure how my stuffed snowman prize made it into the light fixture on the overhead kitchen light, but it was a lot of fun. Grandpas treasure was a piece of chocolate left in front of the gingerbread house.

We had a wonderful evening and a lot of fun, I know this will be a Christmas that we will never forget! Now I wonder what surprises are waiting to be found in the next two days. I hope you find a treasure under your tree. But remember that Christmas is not all about presents, wrapping paper and how much time you spent finding the perfect Chrsitmas gift. It's going to church and celebrating the birth of an infant that would change the world. I wish you peace and happiness and time spent with family and friends this Christmas!

Merry Christmas!

No comments: